Welcome to St. James Catholic Church of Kearney, Nebraska
Dear Friends in Christ:
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. —Jn 3:16-17
- The Coat & Mitten Drive will be held during the month of October
and 1st week of November. Used winter coats and mittens in good
condition would be greatly appreciated! Boxes will be located by the doors. Sponsored by the Community Life Committee.
- KCHS Band students will be selling Christmas Greenery and Popcorn October 22nd - November 10th. Please contact the KCHS Music Boosters at firstname.lastname@example.org or Susan at 234-1887 for more information or to place an order with a band student.
- FOOD PANTRY - our Food Pantry collection will be this weekend,
November 1st & 2nd. Please bring non-perishable items and place
them in the tubs in the foyer. Thank you!
- The RCIA class will be meeting every Thursday evening at 6:30. Prayer Cards for R.C.I.A. Candidates are on the bulletin board in the foyer. Please take a card and support that candidate with prayer on their journey of Faith.
- Before you vote in the November 4th General Election, please go to the website of the Nebraska Catholic Conference at www.nebcathcon.org and check out its multi-issue survey of candidates for Governor and the Nebraska State Legislature. Unlike previous election years, this survey will not be published in the diocesan newspaper. The website also provides information about contacting and questioning candidates directly (including those in federal races) and about our moral obligation to vote and to do so with a conscience formed in fidelity to Catholic moral teachings.
- Our annual Memorial Mass for all who have died in the past year (parishioners or family members of parishioners) is at 6 p.m. November 3, 2014. After Mass a dinner for family members who can attend will be held in the parish hall. If your loved one was buried through another parish in the last year and you would like to include them in this special liturgy, please call the office at 234-5536 by October 29th.
- First Friday Adoration is Fr iday, November 7th from 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the church chapel. Prayer
intention for November: That all who suffer loneliness may experience the closeness of God and the support of others.
- Trent Horn-Join Spirit 91.5-FM, in partnership with the Diocese
of Grand Island, for “A Beginner’s Guide to Defending the
Catholic Faith” with Trent Horn, a Catholic apologist with Catholic
Answers, Thursday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m. at Blessed Sacrament Church in
Grand Island. Tickets are $5, and available at Blessed Sacrament’s
rectory, St. Leo Church rectory in Grand Island, Ss. Peter and Paul
Church rectory in St. Paul and St. James Church rectory in Kearney. For
more information, visit spiritcatholicradio.com or call 855-571-0200.
- The Kearney Chapter of Magnificat will meet Saturday, November
8th at 10:00 a.m. at the Ramada Inn. Andrea Mack from Grand Island
will speak about her walk with God as a pro-life warrior Brunch is $15.
Please make your reservations by Nov. 5th to 575-574-8183 or email@example.com. Make checks payable to “Magnificat” and mail to: Marlene Rasmussen, 3415 W 70th St., Kearney NE 68845.
of Columbus Fall Harvest Breakfast-will be Nov. 1st 7:00 a.m.-11:00
a.m. They will be serving pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits
with gravy and drink. $5 for adults, $3 ages 5-12, children 4 and
under-free. CMO Hall, 1900 Central AVE.
- DCCW Collection ~ Dues are now being accepted by the Diocesan
Council of Catholic Women of the Grand Island Diocese. Place donations
in the collection basket marked dues, or mail to the DCCW treasurer,
Susan Johnson, PO Box 222, Cody, NE 69211. Donations go toward
scholarships, seminary fund, Newman Center and many other important
- That Man is You! meets at Prince of Peace Church on
Tuesdayevenings from 7 to 8:30 and Thursday mornings from 5:45to 7:15.
Thursday morning Mass is at 7:15 at POP for any thatwould like to
attend. This week's session is titled "Intellectual formation". All men
are welcome to attend. Contact SteveNiedbalski at 308-440-0940 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the weekly bulletin for more information.
As each one of you has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God's varied grace. 1 Peter 4:8-10
Fishing with St. James
Good and Faithful Stewards of St. James
During the last few weeks, everyone was asked to be involved in our Annual Stewardship Renewal in regards to parish life. We have already received 155 forms, I hope we reach 655 by Thanksgiving and that will be 50% of our parish making a commitment! If you have not yet filled out a stewardship renewal response form, you can do so at any time and return it in the collection basket or the parish office. More stewardship forms are in the foyer. This parish is ours together. When each of us steps forward to play a part, no matter how large or small, we will become the kind of parish family that God wants us to be. Your response in faith and commitment to the parish is very important!
One of the areas highlighted in the stewardship response form was the importance of prayer. Prayer is a critical part of being good stewards of God’s spiritual and material gifts. This week we will begin praying a prayer after communion for our upcoming campaign whose theme is “Come, Live in the Light, Gather + Give + Glorify. May the light of Christ give light to our days and
guide our ways! Through God, together we will make a difference.
I am Joseph your brother, Fr. Joe Hannappel
St. James parish is established to be a sign of the presence of the Kingdom of God, to spread the Good News of the Gospel and to minister and serve others. As Catholics we believe in Jesus' dying and rising and in our call to celebrate the Sacraments and proclaim the Gospel.
Fax: (308) 234-9818
Parish Office Hours:
9am - 5pm, Monday - Thursday
9am - 3 pm, Friday
*Summer hours (June - August):
8am - 4pm, Monday - Thursday
8 am - 3 pm, Friday