Welcome to St. James Catholic Church of Kearney, Nebraska
Dear Friends in Christ:
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. —Jn 3:16-17
- The Coat & Mitten Drive will be held during the month of October
and 1st week of November. Used winter coats and mittens in good
condition would be greatly appreciated! Boxes will be located by the doors. Sponsored by the Community Life Committee.
- KCHS Band students will be selling Christmas Greenery and Popcorn October 22nd - November 10th. Please contact the KCHS Music Boosters at firstname.lastname@example.org or Susan at 234-1887 for more information or to place an order with a band student.
- FOOD PANTRY - our Food Pantry collection will be next weekend,
November 1st & 2nd. Please bring non-perishable items and place
them in the tubs in the foyer. Thank you!
- The RCIA class will be meeting every Thursday evening at 6:30. Please sign up on the bulletin board in the foyer if you would like to provide refreshments for 14 people.
- Pictures Needed-The Communications Committee needs your help
putting together picture collages and a presentation. We would like
pictures that anyone would be willing to share, such as group
gatherings, First Communion classes and the church building. We will
make copies and return the originals. Please email or call Ed Berglund
at email@example.com 308-627-6012
- Our annual Memorial Mass for all who have died in the past year (parishioners or family members of parishioners) is at 6 p.m. November 3, 2014. After Mass a dinner for family members who can attend will be held in the parish hall. If your loved one was buried through another parish in the last year and you would like to include them in this special liturgy, please call the office at 234-5536 by October 29th.
- Kearney Catholic High School Red Cross Blood Drive: Be a Red Cross blood donor on Monday, October 27th from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. in the gym at KCHS. For an appointment, call Stephanie Mahony at 440-1521. The need is constant, the reward is instant.
- Prince Of Peace Catholic Church will host their annual Fall Festival on Sunday, November 2nd at Kearney Catholic High School from 10:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. A roast beef dinner will be served. Other fun activities include a large item raffle, a quilt raffle, silent auction, bingo, games and inflatables for the kids, and a bake sale/country store.
- Trent Horn-Join Spirit 91.5-FM, in partnership with the Diocese
of Grand Island, for “A Beginner’s Guide to Defending the
Catholic Faith” with Trent Horn, a Catholic apologist with Catholic
Answers, Thursday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m. at Blessed Sacrament Church in
Grand Island. Tickets are $5, and available at Blessed Sacrament’s
rectory, St. Leo Church rectory in Grand Island, Ss. Peter and Paul
Church rectory in St. Paul and St. James Church rectory in Kearney. For
more information, visit spiritcatholicradio.com or call 855-571-0200.
- The Kearney Chapter of Magnificat will meet Saturday, November
8th at 10:00 a.m. at the Ramada Inn. Andrea Mack from Grand Island
will speak about her walk with God as a pro-life warrior Brunch is $15.
Please make your reservations by Nov. 5th to 575-574-8183 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Make checks payable to “Magnificat” and mail to: Marlene Rasmussen, 3415 W 70th St., Kearney NE 68845.
of Columbus Fall Harvest Breakfast-will be Nov. 1st 7:00 a.m.-11:00
a.m. They will be serving pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits
with gravy and drink. $5 for adults, $3 ages 5-12, children 4 and
under-free. CMO Hall, 1900 Central AVE.
- DCCW Collection ~ Dues are now being accepted by the Diocesan
Council of Catholic Women of the Grand Island Di-ocese. Place donations
in the collection basket marked dues, or mail to the DCCW treasurer,
Susan Johnson, PO Box 222, Cody, NE 69211. Donations go toward
scholarships, seminary fund, Newman Center and many other important
- That Man is You! meets at Prince of Peace Church on
Tuesdayevenings from 7 to 8:30 and Thursday mornings from 5:45to 7:15.
Thursday morning Mass is at 7:15 at POP for any thatwould like to
attend. This week's session is titled "Intellectual formation". All men
are welcome to attend. Contact SteveNiedbalski at 308-440-0940 or email@example.com.
See the weekly bulletin for more information.
As each one of you has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God's varied grace. 1 Peter 4:8-10
Fishing with St. James
Good and Faithful Stewards of St. James
Our Annual Stewardship
Renewal concludes this weekend when all of our parish families are
asked to return their Commit-ment Forms. During Mass we will collect
these cards as an offer-ing to God of our gifts of time, talent, and
treasure. I trust you will join our effort to be a parish of “good and
faithful stewards”— visibly committed to prayer, ministry to others, and
ongoing fi-nancial support. God will bless you abundantly as your
commit-ments reflect your life as a disciple of Jesus.
the last few weeks, everyone was asked to be involved in our Annual
Stewardship Renewal in regards to parish life. One ongoing aspect is to
reflect on the amount given in the weekly offertory collection. The
weekly offertory is how we financially support our parish work. It’s an
important way to show a willing-ness to return to the Lord a portion of
our many blessings.
If you have not yet filled out a stewardship
renewal response card, you can do so at any time and return it in the
collection bas-ket. Extra cards are in the foyer. This parish is ours
together. When each of us steps forward to play a part, no matter how
large or small, we will become the kind of parish family that God wants
us to be.
I am Joseph your brother, Fr. Joe Hannappel
St. James parish is established to be a sign of the presence of the Kingdom of God, to spread the Good News of the Gospel and to minister and serve others. As Catholics we believe in Jesus' dying and rising and in our call to celebrate the Sacraments and proclaim the Gospel.
Fax: (308) 234-9818
Parish Office Hours:
9am - 5pm, Monday - Thursday
9am - 3 pm, Friday
*Summer hours (June - August):
8am - 4pm, Monday - Thursday
8 am - 3 pm, Friday