Welcome to St. James Catholic Church of Kearney, Nebraska
Dear Friends in Christ:
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. —Jn 3:16-17
- Confession Schedule before Christmas:
- Thursday, December 18th 5 - 6 p.m. at church
- Saturday, December 20th 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. at church
- Parish Communal reconciliation; Sunday, December 21st; 3 p.m. at Prince of Peace Church
- Tuesday, December 23rd: 12 - 1 p.m. and 5 - 6 p.m. at church
- Christmas Eve Masses: 5, 7 and 11 p.m. Christmas Day Mass: 9 a.m.
- Solemnity of Mary Mass on New Year's Eve: 5 p.m. New Year's Day: 9 a.m.
- After the 5 p.m. Mass on Saturday, December 20th , we need help bringing in the pre-set trees to the sanctuary and parish hall. On Monday, December 22nd, beginning at 5 p.m. we need help decorating the church for Christmas. Your time will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, the Liturgy Committee.
- REMEMBERING TREE— We invite families of deceased infants to place an ornament on the Remembering Tree located on the west side of the foyer near the font. At the end of the Christmas Season you may take your ornament home or we will pack it away and place it on the tree each year.
- Give the gift of an intimate encounter with Christ to the special young person, grandchild, niece/nephew in your life. Purchase a “Going Bananas For Jesus 2015” gift certificate for the upcoming event in Kearney on March 27th - 29th! Go to: youthdiocese.weebly.com and click on the drop down box “Retreats/Program” and select “GBFJ” to register your youth!
- Faith Christian School will present the Live Nativity this Christmas
season. This is a special activity that takes place outside of our
school building and tells the Christmas story through live characters
and animals. It is a wonderful event and one that the whole family can
enjoy! All are welcomed to visit and see the Nativity on Friday and
Saturday, December 19th and 20th from 6 - 9 p.m. at 5710 19th Avenue in
Lay Ministers needed for Solemnity of Mary Masses on New Year’s Eve and Day: We still need many ministries to be filled
yet. See the Liturgical Ministry Schedule for more details.
- Snow Removal, Can you help? St. James is in urgent need of volunteers to shovel sidewalks and move snow whenever we have a winter storm. Please consider helping your Parish by volunteering to be on the calling list for snow removal. We would like a list of at least 25 people that we can call or text when snow removal is needed. Generally, this would be between noon and 4 p.m. on Saturdays and around 6 a.m. on Sundays. Volunteers can be individuals, school groups, families, or just a group of friends. Volunteers will need to bring their own shovels if possible. To volunteer contact the church office at 234-5536, Melodie Bellamy at 237-5942 or any parish council member. Thank you for being willing to serve.
- That Man is You! meets at Prince of Peace Church on
Tuesdayevenings from 7 to 8:30 and Thursday mornings from 5:45to 7:15.
Thursday morning Mass is at 7:15 at POP for any thatwould like to
attend. This week's session is titled "Intellectual formation". All men
are welcome to attend. Contact SteveNiedbalski at 308-440-0940 or email@example.com.
- Baptism of Our Lord— On Saturday & Sunday, January 10 & 11, 2015, St James will celebrate the Baptism of Our Lord. Baptisms will be r ecognized at all Masses as we commemorate the Baptisms that have been celebrated at St. James in 2014. If you have questions, please call the office at 234-5536.
- Save The Date! The annual Nebraska Walk for Life will be Saturday, January 31st starting at 10 a.m. at the State Capitol in Lincoln. A short program at the Capitol will be followed by the walk to the UNL Student Union at 14th & R Street for our keynote speech from Mario St. Francis, the media director for World Youth Day. His message of conversion will resonate with both young and old. For more information contact Nebraska Right to Life at 402-438-4802.
- HOST FAMILIES NEEDED Please sign up to be a HOST FAMILY for "Going BANANAS for JESUS”, March 27 - 29, 2015 in Kearney. For more information & to sign-up call: Julie Tveit at 440- 6363 or email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
See the weekly bulletin for more information.
As each one of you has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God's varied grace. 1 Peter 4:8-10
Fishing with St. James
Campaign Commitment Sunday is finally her e! We’ve been preparing for this day for the last few months and I trust your generosity will even surpass our goal. If you are 70 ½ and have an IRA please read the bulletin insert and consider making a tax free donation before year end. Your pledges and contributions will be confidential and kept separate from the Sunday collection counting. I continue to be grateful for all the people
who put so much effort toward the success of this campaign.
St. James Hispanic Ministry Group prepared a wonderful celebration for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe this weekend. The feast of prayer, community building and wonderful food are a tribute to Our Lady who appeared to Juan Diego in Mexico in 1531. Muchicimas gracias a todos.
Here is the evening prayer antiphon for the Feast of the Nativity, may it be as true for us this Christmas as it has been for the last two millennia: “Today Christ is born, today the Savior has appeared; today the angels sing on earth, the archangels rejoice; today the upright shout out for joy: Glory be to God on high, Alleluia!"
“Maranatha -Come Lord Jesus!” Fr. Joe Hannappel
St. James parish is established to be a sign of the presence of the Kingdom of God, to spread the Good News of the Gospel and to minister and serve others. As Catholics we believe in Jesus' dying and rising and in our call to celebrate the Sacraments and proclaim the Gospel.
Fax: (308) 234-9818
Parish Office Hours:
9am - 5pm, Monday - Thursday
9am - 3 pm, Friday
*Summer hours (June - August):
8am - 4pm, Monday - Thursday
8 am - 3 pm, Friday